Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Oh no. Carolers.

You know what is really awkward?  Carolers at your doorstep. 



I've never had to experience this until last night.  There was a knock on the door and I, expecting someone else, threw it open without a care in the world.  Cue "Jingle Bell Rock."  I think the first words out of my mouth were, "Oh no.  It's carolers."

There were about five of them and they were not your average Christmas time singers.  They were young, like late teens/early 20s.  They weren't dressed in Christmas gear.  They were also not great singers.  I think my fifth grade class rendition of "Jingle Bell Rock" was more in tune than this group last night.  But they did have little cue cards that they were singing off of. 

Shit.  Carolers.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my husband duck into the back room to avoid the singing strangers at the front door.  Then I heard him call out, "They want money."  Yes, I know that, but you are still supposed to listen to their song, right?  It's not like a pay and we'll shut up thing.  I stood there awkwardly, not sure what to do, as they went through the song.  At that moment, "Jingle Bell Rock" was the longest song in the world.  "They want money!" Again, not helpful.  But now I was starting to second guess myself and thought maybe they would want to see that I intended on paying them?  Maybe if they didn't see me with cash they would never stop singing?  So I left them there and went and got my purse.  Looking back, that was probably a weird thing to do as it left these people with no one to sing to. 

After an eternity, the song ended.  I think I applauded.  I stepped outside in my socks and gave them some cash and asked why they were doing this.  Apparently they were trying to raise some money for next semester's books and, and I quote, "To spread some holiday cheer." 

When it was all over, my husband, who was carefully hidden away this entire time, said, "I didn't know if you would know to give them money."  I am constantly amazed at how stupid my husband must think I am.  Oh well.  He feels the same way about me (that I must think he is stupid, not that he thinks I am stupid).     

Happy Holidays!  May no carolers appear on your doorstep (unless you like that kind of thing)!

2 comments:

  1. You gave them money? But...why? I can't understand this at all. I would have shut the door as soon as I realized who it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's not like a pay and we'll shut up thing" HA HA HA!!!

    ReplyDelete