Friday, December 17, 2010

Food Resolution

I'm taking a break from school and am thinking about food. 

Sometimes I think that my husband and I live like frat boys.  We have a nice home but suck at keeping it up.  We are insanely lazy.  There are unfinished projects from over a year ago that would probably take an hour or so to complete, but we just don't do them. 

However, what really seems to get to people is our eating habits.  I just got back from the grocery store and I think it was my first shopping trip in three months.  Husband is usually pretty good at picking up milk or bread when we need it, but that has been about it.  We usually do not make dinner and instead get carry-out probably four nights a week.  The other day I asked a friend if he eats a "real" dinner ever night.  He looked at me like I was crazy.

Let me go over some of our food issues.  Husband is a very picky eater (he may say he's not but, holy shit, he is).  He doesn't like any tomato-based sauces, anything spicy, "a lot" of melted cheese, many veggies (and any that are cooked), beans, condiments...basically, I say he doesn't really like a lot of flavor.  He is perfectly happy eating the same things day in and day out.  One of his favorite things in the world is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  He eats more PB&J sandwiches than an entire kindergarten class in a year.  He is also a food brand loyalist.  It has to be a particular peanut butter, jelly, bread, Ranch dressing, syrup, etc. 

My issue is that I don't eat meat.  I eat seafood, but no meat.  Husband loves meat.  I love those saucy, cheesy things that he isn't too keen on. 

Together we are lazy and would rather have someone else make us something than do it ourselves.  But we want to change.  We really do.  We spend too much money on going out to eat, not to mention the calories.  So here is my resolution: eat better and at home.  We start tonight with our standby meal that we both enjoy: salmon and fresh green beans.  Oh, and a salad because I accidentally bought salad things not knowing that we already have salad things so now we have twice the...salad things.  I'm hoping that since I have this winter break that I can get in the habit of making dinner and we'll see what happens when next semester starts up.

In more fun food news, I am making mulled wine for a holiday party tomorrow.  I've made a pretty excellent hard cider before, but never mulled wine.  I'm a bit nervous; I've never had mulled wine before so it sounds strange to me, but we'll see how it goes. 

2 comments:

  1. Nothing speaks more eloquently to your home cooking habits than your use of the term "salad things," which I have never encountered until today, reading this post.

    Your husband is much worse than I am: I just get freaked out by raw tomatoes. I've learned to enjoy all sorts of cooked tomato preparations, although I admit it took a long time. I'm stumped as to how you'll get your SO on this track, though, if he doesn't like spicy food, either. (WTF is his problem with food that tastes like something?)

    God help you both if you get a job in the US Southwest, where EVERYTHING is spicy, or sauced, or covered in cheese, or served with beans, or contains meat, or all of the above.

    Until you actually begin to create home decor out of light beer cans and whiskey bottles that you have emptied, though, I think it's a little harsh to compare yourselves to frat boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He doesn't like food that tastes like anything! Thanks to "Top Chef," he now says he just likes "clean flavors."

    We don't use alcohol containers for decoration, so I guess we're fine!

    ReplyDelete